Pages

Tuesday, November 1, 2016

Leaves


It's been awhile since I've written for the Tuesday Slice of Life.  My life has been on the windy road of medical twists and turns as I have been dealing with my parents' health issues.  I felt compelled to write after reading the post by Deb about how writers see and feel the world...


What I loved most about the world today was seeing the confetti sprinkled streets, sidewalks and trees full of nature's burst of color.  The leaves on the trees beamed with beauty.  I took it all in as I witnessed my dad saying, "the leaves are coming down already?".  He's spent so much of autumn under the weather...days and days of not even looking outside to witness nature's paint pallet.  It made me realize how much we should savor the beauty of things to be seen every day and never take them for granted.

I acknowledged his loss of time and made note out loud of how beautiful the leaves looked in the glowing sun-filled afternoon as we drove back from the doctor's appointment.

Oh, the leaves

Leaves are falling...
    Leaves are falling...
             falling
                 falling
                    d
                        o
                            w
                                n

Fluttering from the trees
        Fluttering from the trees
                   gliding
                        gliding
                              g
                                 e
                                   n
                                     t
                                         l
                                             y
                                               to rest
Making piles
        Making piles
                 landing
                      landing
                              s
                                o
                                    f
                                      t
                                         l
                                            y
                                            on the ground without any sound...

Thanks to the Two Writing Teachers Blog for hosting this weekly slice of life.  Check it out here!

5 comments:

  1. Your poem imitates the falling leaves so well, especially with the word placement - I could see it and feel it. I hope you share it with your dad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem imitates the falling leaves so well, especially with the word placement - I could see it and feel it. I hope you share it with your dad, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry for this time for you, Amy. What a hard time when it's time to care for parents. I love your focus, the poem written from your father's words, and this "confetti sprinkled streets"-just a perfect image.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being there for your parents during health issues is intensive. I am glad that you found the moment to enjoy the leaves together with your dad, that it inspired a poem, and that you wrote and shared today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so happy to see your post today -- I have missed your voice. Sorry to hear about your parents -- I know that journey well. You need to post this line -It made me realize how much we should savor the beauty of things to be seen every day and never take them for granted. - somewhere and read it every day. And keep writing --it meant the world to me when I was caring for my parents. Thinking of you.
    Clare

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please add your thoughts.