Pages

Saturday, March 21, 2020

Missing Connections

Write Share Give

Day 21 of the Slice of Life Story Challenge

I am inspired today (again) by Betsy's share of Naomi Shihab Nye's post on connection.  I have missed connection with people over the past week.  It truly made the week feel like a year.  Don't get me wrong, I love, love, love my immediate family and I feel so blessed that we can all be home together and live out the social distancing expectations.  I DO MISS my school family and colleagues very much.  So virtual connection will become the way of the world for the next few months...yes, I said few months.

I chose to connect with my student lunch-bunch on Zoom (have you tried it?).  They are a sweet group of fourth grade girls who eat lunch with me at least one day a week.  During the holidays, we've celebrated with special parties with all the trimmings. 
Image from Pixabay

One of my favorite experiences of the year so far was the gathering before the winter break. 
I brought in coffee mugs and we all drank hot cocoa and ate specially decorated holiday themed cupcakes.  We laughed about the green frosting on our lips and faces.  I smile as I write this reflecting on their adorable faces.  Oh, I miss them so!  Another sweet moment was when we stirred our hot cocoa with the peppermint candy canes.  It was just priceless to witness them giggle and interact.  I regret that I didn't capture specific conversation in my journal-I should have.

Image saved from Pixabay


Today, I just have the overwhelming feeling of missing them OH. SO. MUCH.

2 comments:

  1. These are the moments our students will remember. How great that you are continuing the tradition!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is challenging to imagine when we will be able to have connection to others like we once did. I'm glad you connected with your lunch bunch. I am hoping to connect with students more through video. Zoom is such a great tool.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please add your thoughts.