Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Beginning with a Poem

Slice 3 of 31

 
(thanks to Lillies Lady for inspiring this slice about a thespian performance)
 
"Little Miss Muffet
Sat on a tuffet
Eating her curds and whey
 
Along came a spider
and sat down beside her
and frightened Miss Muffet away!
 
I'm happy!"
 
Me saying my little poem!
 
The crowd roared and thus the words that won me the "Little Miss Mogadore" Contest in the summer of 1974 were words that still ring true today.  Here's a little article about the summer celebration:
Me, kissing my dad after I received the crown and trophy!

 
 
 
 

 
I really don't remember much about the contest, but I do remember standing on the porch steps there.  I also remember being in the driveway of my grandma's house getting pictures taken after the parade was over.  Thank goodness my mom saved these pictures and included them in my baby book.  In her notes on the picture she wrote that 18 other girls were in the contest with me!
 
As I reflect on this slice of my life, I think about it on so many levels.  First of all, I can't believe that my mom entered me in a contest where I had to perform in front of people (REALLY).  Secondly, it makes me "happy" to know that the performance part was not the cause of winning alone-it was my reaction to my performance that seemed to be the tipping point.  And finally, I think about how my mom saved these memories and words for me, never knowing how much they would eventually mean to me as a writer, a teacher and a mommy too!
 
Thanks to my mom (you're the best Mom) for these little slices in my baby book!  She was ahead of her time with slices and scrapbooking...

16 comments:

  1. Those pictures are a priceless treasure. It will push me to get back to a project I have been working on for my girl's sixth birthday...it has gotten away from me and I need to invest the time. I see how this effort your mom put in pays later. How precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betsy,
      Good luck with getting back to your project! Hope it all works out smoothly!

      Delete
  2. Adorable! I love the picture of you and your father.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Amy... you have to love memories such as this! Kudos to your mom and you "Little Miss Magadore"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that your mom saved the pictures and clippings for you! What treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful slice from your childhood. It reminds us all the power of writing and how memories are important to capture, keep, and look back on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mandy,
      You are right-capturing the moment, just like you did with your daughter and her skirt! Having that to look back on will be a treasure!

      Delete
  6. What wonderful memories!What treasures these must be for you. I know I have saved so much from my children's early years - I treasure these.
    I found some cards from when I was young after my Mom died - was so happy to have those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These treasures are wonderful artifacts that make our life stories! What did the cards you found have on them?

      Delete
  7. What a fun memory slice! I love that your mom saved the newspaper clippings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she saved them to be put in our memory/baby books

      Delete
  8. Just look at you! It's funny how a picture can trigger a memory.

    Cathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am amazed at how looking at old pictures can inspire writing!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Please add your thoughts.