Pages

Monday, March 23, 2020

Imagining the Virtual in Quarantine

Write Share Give

Day 23 of the Slice of Life Story Challenge

Imagine

A text popped up:

Can you do a little hangout later or are you still with family?

My reply: Sure! The fam is good to go.  Should we do phone? FaceTime?  Google hangout?

Text back: Hangout 

My reply: what time?

Text back: Around 9:15.

My reply:  see you then!

Later in the evening...

Text back:  can you see the invite I sent? 

My reply:  yes getting on now!

I linked into the call!

Suddenly, I see a piece of cake with a lit candle!
Three friends begin singing the happy birthday song!

So sweet!
We couldn’t celebrate in a surprise in person so they surprised me virtually.  

We laughed, checked-in and swapped a few old stories.  

We discussed the reciprocal teaching strategy with a connection to the book Pictures of Hollis Woods.  

And shared a tip.  If you initiate a google hangout as a teacher be sure everyone hangs up before you leave the call.  

Then we said goodbye.  It was an awesome way to end my special day.

Imagine four friends hanging out-only this time, virtually.  

Imagining is not so hard these days.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! Great post! It was so sweet to surprise you with a virtual birthday. What a great group of friends!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we're so lucky to have the virtual world during this quarantine! Just found your blog, and I am so glad I did. :)
    Best, Kellee from UnleashingReaders.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please add your thoughts.