Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Thankful for Gol-ives

Tuesday's Slice of Life...How I've Missed You!
Slice of Life Tuesdays-Hosted by Two Writing Teachers

As my daughter begins to talk less jibberish and more clear speech, I am noticing little things that she's beginning to ask for...the writer in me is noticing little details about how she says these things and the latest and most notable for our house is the asking for "gol-ives". 

You might be wondering...just what are gol-ives?  Let me describe them for you so you know just what they might be.  These things are very bite size-perfect little rings that fit right on tiny fingers.  They taste very salty and are usually juicy.  "Gol-ives" are black and brown colored and are just right for sprinkling atop a yummy bowl of crunchy lettuce or spinach-along with other tasty fixin's like shredded cheese, croutons and even tomatoes!

Have you guessed what gol-ives are yet?  If you're thinking black olives, you're right!  Nattie loves eating them along with her salad-and she usually pilfers off of my serving until there are no more.  It's cute to hear her ask, "Golives? Golives?".  When we finally figured out she was asking for black olives, it made sense!  Say them together really fast-"Black olives" go ahead, I'll give you a few seconds...ok-so doesn't it sound like you're saying gol-ives if you leave off the beginning of black? Kids do say funny things sometimes and I am thankful for catching my "Gol-ive Lover" chatting up a storm and asking for yummy foods to eat...our Thanksgiving ought to be very speechy this year!

10 comments:

  1. What a wonderful take of growing vocabulary and its impact on the family. We'll be having some gol-ives at our house too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it, Amy, and it's also hard to believe that she likes that odd taste of the gol-ives! It's such a delight to hear about the beginning language. Parents sometimes have a tough time figuring it out, don't they? Happy Thanksgiving to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does she stick them on her fingers like witchy fingernails? That's what my daughter did. She was also an inventor of words. I have a treasured list in her baby book. It's funny to read them now. Some resulted from the way words are pronounced, as you noticed. Others are from her own unique point of view.

    Be sure to write down them down as your daughter comes up with them. You think you will never forget, but some might slip away...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet! These will become family-isms, like my youngest's "computeker" which lives onlong past her year old self.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so enjoy hearing about that little pirate dressing gol-ive eater. Long may stories of her be told. Thanks Amy for being her storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's adorable! I, too, love those briny black olives. My daughter... not so much!
    Great slice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looking back on the list of my daughters' words is some of my favorite reading. My favorite: "Uppy me" for "pick me up" - probably came out of my tendency to say "up-sie-daisie" as I lifted her. I agree with you, so fun to watch how words grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So cute! I wish I had written them down for my son. You are so smart to preserve gems like this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These first funny words become a part of the family lore. You will call them "golives" forever. What a joy to have a language learner in your home.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Forget Webster's - I'll go for "Youngster's" any old time.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Please add your thoughts.