Pages

Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Posting from the Pool

Today's slice is from the pool...it's all good (like Pete the Cat says) because Nattie's at home and Kam is here~in swimming lessons!  It's fun to watch lessons because it makes me think of learning...young learners trying to take on something new.

There are 7 kids in the class and all look to be about 6-8 years old.  This is level three-Kam said he feels nervous tonight because they'll be diving.  His teacher is rewarding good listening by allowing jumps in the pool at the end of class.

This week, they are on the lap side of the pool.  Kam just waved...maybe his nerves have calmed a little.  He's done level 3 before-he says this year, he's going to pass.  What a difference a year makes.

Last year, he was still afraid to put his face in the water and I can already see by watching tonight that he's past that.  He "FAIL"ed last year big time!  After reading Teach Like a Pirate, I learned too, FAIL means a First Attempt in Learning-hopefully this year level 3 will be a full SAIL (second attempt in learning) success!
                       ~from the pool, signing off!

8 comments:

  1. You can do it Kam! Love his positive attitude! We all need to remember that to FAIL is the first attempt in learning. I love that acronym too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Michelle! I hope he passes this year...

      Delete
  2. Hurrah for Kam. Just imagine all the things our kids have to learn & do. And we think this is easy some of the time, at least. I like all the details, takes me back to my own kids & lessons! I bought Teach Like A Pirate, but haven't started it yet! Thanks for the little peek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get to start Tlap yet? It's such an inspirational book!

      Delete
  3. This makes me remember my son's misadventures with his swimming lessons long ago. But he's a great swimmer now! It also makes me wish all learning could take place in such small groups with instruction focused at the learner's individual level. Love the meaning for FAIL and SAIL. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it seems like group size makes all the difference-

      Delete
  4. Putting their face in the water is such a big accomplishment! I'll be signing my grandson up for swim lessons soon. :)We'll see how that goes! I hope Kam felt comfortable diving, I'm not that brave.
    Have a great weekend,
    Sabrina Colvn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sabrina,
      "Diving" actually turned out to be jumping off the diving board in the 20' end of the pool-yikes!

      Delete

I love hearing from you! Please add your thoughts.